The front of Mauna Loa’s lava flow continues to inch closer to Daniel K. Inouye Highway. As of noon, the flow front was 2.15 miles from the thoroughfare.
Fissure 3 is currently the only active fissure. According to Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, there continue to be several small overflows from main channels recorded over the past day. During the past 24 hours, the lava flow advanced at an average rate of about 20 feet per hour. Advance rates may be highly variable over the coming days and weeks.
Though the advance rate has slowed over the past several days, the lava flow remains active with a continuous supply from the fissure 3 vent.
On the flat ground between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, lava flows advance more slowly, spread out, and inflate. Individual lobes may advance quickly, and then stall. Additional breakouts may occur if lava channels get blocked upslope. There are many variables at play and both the direction and timing of flow advances are expected to change over periods of hours to days, making it difficult to estimate when or if the flow will impact Daniel K. Inouye Highway.
Sulfur dioxide (SO2) emission rates of approximately 120,000 tonnes per day (t/d) were measured Sunday. These are decreased from the rate of 180,000 t/d measured on Dec. 1, but elevated emissions of this magnitude can still have moderate to severe impacts on regional air quality, depending on plume rise rate and wind direction.
Volcanic gas is rising high and vertically into the atmosphere before being blown to the west at high altitude, generating vog (volcanic air pollution) in areas downwind. The International Volcanic Health Hazard Network has detailed information about vog: https://vog.ivhhn.org/. Forecasts for the dispersion of vog can be found on the Mauna Loa Vog Forecasting Dashboard: https://vog.ivhhn.org/content/mauna-loa-eruption.
Tremor (a signal associated with subsurface fluid movement) continues beneath the currently active fissure. This indicates that magma is still being supplied to the fissure, and activity is likely to continue as long as we see this signal.
There is no active lava within Moku’āweoweo caldera nor the Southwest Rift Zone. Experts do not expect any eruptive activity outside the Northeast Rift Zone.
Original post: The lava from the Mauna Loa eruption continues to spew out of Fissure 3 — and at a larger volume than previously estimated — but the main flow continues to move slowly and behave like “really, really thick pancake batter.”
In the past day the lava flow has progressed less than a tenth of a mile and is now about 2.2 miles from reaching Daniel K. Inouye Highway, according to figures from the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory.
“The lava flow is advancing sideways to the west and east about as fast as it is moving forward,” said Ken Hon, the federal observatory’s Scientist-in-Charge.
The front of the lava flow is about 15 feet thick and moving at about 50 feet per hour. At this rate, the lava would take at least another week to reach the Big Island’s main east-west highway, also known as Saddle Road.
At its current path, the lava flow is headed near the intersection of Old Saddle Road and Daniel K. Inouye Highway,
Scientists continue to say there are still too many variables to determine when the lava will cross the road — or even if it will.
“We still don’t know,” Hon said.
In the meantime, Hawai’i County and other government agencies continue to plan for the possibility of a road closure.
The county also is continuing to work on making the traffic flow along the highway — which is used daily by thousands of residents for work, business and other everyday reasons — as efficient as possible.
The influx or people who have flocked to the area to see the lava flow down the northeast flank of Mauna Loa has remained steady since Mauna Loa erupted a week ago, at about 11:30 p.m. on Nov. 27.
On Sunday morning, the 4.5-mile section of Old Saddle Road on Pōhakuloa Training Area land that had been created days earlier as a lava viewing area had to be shut down for hours following the discovery of unexploded ordnance.
Lt. Col. Kevin Cronin with the U.S. Army Garrison said the item found Sunday was “a training ordnance that produces smoke, so not a bomb that would produce any type of shrapnel or fragments.
“Based on the current flow and based on the conditions of the training areas on Pōhakuloa, weʻre not concerned about UXO [unexploded ordnance]or any other type of toxin to the team working at Pōhakuloa, the 200 civilian teammates, the public community or the broader Hawaiian island community.”
But there likely is more unexploded ordnance in the area because it is an active training area, Lt. Cronin said.
The civilian who found the ordnance, which was in lava off of the road, was trespassing. The public is only allowed to be on the roadway and parking area along the viewing route while on military grounds.
The Mauna Loa Forest Reserve also has been closed to the public since shortly after the volcanic eruption began one week ago. Yet, even after the discovery of unexploded ordnance on Sunday, many people continued to trespass into the closed area.
On Sunday, officers from the state Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement warned a dozen people to stay out of the active lava zone.
During a media tour, Hawai’i Island Branch Chief Lawrence Terlep Jr. spotted a trio of people walking down Mauna Loa Access Road, which is closed. They told Terlep they thought “the road was only closed to cars.”
Pope in Hungary meets with Ukrainian refugees, Russian envoy
Pope Francis plunged into both sides of Russia’s war with Ukraine on Saturday, greeting some of the 2.5 million Ukrainian refugees who have fled across the border to Hungary during a public prayer service and then meeting privately with an envoy of the Russian Orthodox Church that has strongly supported the war.
Francis maintained the Vatican’s tradition of diplomatic neutrality during his second day in Budapest, where he’s on a weekend visit to minister to Hungary’s Catholic faithful.
Starting the day, he thanked Hungarians for welcoming Ukrainian refugees and urged them to help anyone in need. He called for a culture of charity in a country where the prime minister has justified firm anti-immigration policies with fears that migration threatens Europe’s Christian culture.
Speaking in the white-brick St. Elizabeth’s church, named for a princess who renounced her wealth to care for the poor, Francis recalled that the Gospel instructs Christians to show love and compassion to all, especially those experiencing poverty and “even those who are not believers.”
“The love that Jesus gives us and commands us to practice can help to uproot the evils of indifference and selfishness from society, from our cities and the places where we live — indifference is a plague —- and to rekindle hope for a new, more just and fraternal world, where all can feel at home,” he said.
Hungary’s nationalist government has implemented firm anti-immigration policies and refused to accept many asylum-seekers trying to enter the country through its southern border, leading to prolonged legal disputes with the European Union.
The conservative populist prime minister, Viktor Orbán, has said that migration threatens to replace Europe’s Christian culture. Orbán, who has held office since 2010, has hinged multiple election campaigns on the threats he alleges that migrants and refugees pose to Hungarians.
While Orbán’s government has consistently rejected asylum-seekers from the Middle East and Africa, around 2.5 million Ukrainians fleeing war in their country found open doors. Around 35,000 of the refugees remain in Hungary and have registered for temporary protection there, according to the U.N.
One who has chosen to stay was Olesia Misiats, a nurse who worked in a Kyiv COVID-19 hospital when she fled with her mother and two daughters on Feb. 24, 2022 — the day Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
First she went to the Netherlands, but high costs compelled her to move to Hungary, where she said she has found an apartment and given birth to her third daughter, Mila, who was in the pews Saturday with her mother and sister.
“Here it’s safe,” Misiats said of her new life. She said that she hopes to return to Kyiv one day, but for now she and her children are adapting. “I want to go back home. There it’s my life — it was my life,” she said. “But the war changed my life.”
Immediately after greeting and encouraging the refugees, Francis visited the Greek Catholic church next door, which has been providing aid to refugees. And then he met with the Russian Orthodox Church’s representative in Hungary, Metropolitan Hilarion, who developed close relations with the Vatican during his years as the Russian church’s foreign minister. The Vatican said the 20-minute meeting at the Holy See’s embassy in Budapest was “cordial.”
The Russian church’s strong support for the Kremlin’s war has rankled the Vatican and prevented a second papal meeting with Patriarch Kirill, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church and an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin. Francis and Kirill had a 2016 encounter in Cuba that marked the first between a pope and the head of the Russian church. They had planned a second one in June, but the meeting has been indefinitely postponed over Kirill’s support for the war.
In a statement, Hilarion’s office said that he briefed Francis on the social and educational activities of the Russian church in Hungary and its relations with the Catholic Church here. He said that he gave the pope an Italian translation of a six-volume opus on the life of Christ.
Francis’ visit to Hungary, his second in as many years, is bringing him as close as he’s come to the front lines of the war. Upon arriving in Budapest on Friday, he denounced the “adolescent belligerence” that had brought war back to European soil and demanded the EU recover its values of peaceful unity to end
As battle for Sudan continues, civilian deaths top 400
– Gunfire and heavy artillery fire persisted Saturday in parts of Sudan’s capital Khartoum, residents said, despite the extension of a cease-fire between the country’s two top generals, whose battle for power has killed hundreds and sent thousands fleeing for their lives.
With ordinary Sudanese caught in the crossfire, the civilian death toll jumped Saturday to 411 people, according to the Sudan Doctors’ Syndicate, which monitors casualties. In some areas in and around the capital, residents reported that shops were reopening and normalcy gradually returning as the scale of fighting dwindled after the shaky truce. But in other areas, terrified residents reported explosions thundering around them and fighters ransacking houses.
Now in its third week, the fighting has wounded 2,023 civilians, the syndicate added, although the true toll is expected to be much higher. The Sudanese Health Ministry put the overall death toll, including fighters, at 528, with 4,500 wounded. In the city of Genena, the provincial capital of war-ravaged West Darfur, intensified violence has killed 89 people, the Doctors’ Syndicate said.
Khartoum, a city of some 5 million people, has been transformed into a front line in the grinding conflict between Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan, the commander of Sudan’s military, and Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, who leads the powerful paramilitary group known as the Rapid Support Forces. The outbreak of violence has dashed once-euphoric hopes for a democratic transition in Sudan after a popular uprising helped oust former dictator Omar al-Bashir.
Foreign countries continued to evacuate their citizens while hundreds of thousands of Sudanese fled across borders. The first convoy organized by the United States to evacuate hundreds of American citizens from the conflict reached the coastal city of Port Sudan Saturday after a dangerous overland journey escorted by armed drones.
Britain meanwhile was ending its evacuation flights Saturday, after demand for spots on the planes declined. The United Arab Emirates announced Saturday it had started evacuating its own citizens along with nationals of 16 other countries.
Over 50,000 Sudanese refugees — mostly women and children — have crossed over to Chad, Egypt, South Sudan and the Central African Republic, the United Nations said, raising fears of regional instability. Ethnic fighting and turmoil has scarred South Sudan and the Central African Republic for years while a 2021 coup has derailed Chad’s own democratic transition.
Those who escape the fighting in Khartoum face more dangers on their way to safety. The route to Port Sudan, where ships evacuate people via the Red Sea, has proven long, exhausting and risky. Hatim el-Madani, a former journalist, said that paramilitary fighters were stopping refugees at roadblocks outside Khartoum, demanding they hand over their phones and valuables.
“There’s an outlaw, bandit-like nature to the RSF,” he said, referring to Dagalo’s Rapid Support Forces. “They don’t have a supply line in place. That could get worse in the coming days.”
Airlifts from the country amid the chaotic fighting also posed challenges, with a Turkish evacuation plane even hit by gunfire outside Khartoum on Friday.
On Saturday — despite a cease-fire extended under heavy international pressure early Friday — clashes continued around the presidential palace, headquarters of the state broadcaster and a military base in Khartoum, residents said. The battles sent thick columns of black smoke billowing over the city skyline.
But in other areas, residents reported signs that the cease-fire had taken hold.
“We are not hearing the bombs as we did before, so we’re hoping that this means they will go back to a political process,” said Osman Mirgany, a columnist and editor of the daily al-Tayar, who assessed it was safe enough on Friday to return home to Khartoum after seeking refuge in a far-flung village.
But Khartoum residents are forced to live side by side with armed fighters. Many RSF militants have moved into civilian homes and taken over stores and hospitals in the capital. The paramilitary group even transformed Mirgany’s newsroom into a makeshift base, he said. Residents also must cope without sufficient electricity and running water, among other basic supplies.
“For the past 14 days we’ve suffered from a lack of everything,” Mirgany said.
Residents in the city of Omdurman, west of Khartoum, have been waiting at least three days to get fuel — complicating their escape plans.
The U.N. relief coordinator, Martin Griffiths, said that U.N. offices in Khartoum, as well as the cities of Genena and Nyala in Darfur had been attacked and looted. Genena’s main hospital was also leveled in the fighting, Sudan’s health ministry said.
“This is unacceptable — and prohibited under international law,” Griffiths said.
Will you marry me?’ Bulgarian woman contacts News 6 to expose international romance scheme
A 52-year-old Bulgarian woman currently working in Ireland is the latest target of international imposters who use stolen photos of a handsome Carnival Cruise Line officer in an online dating scheme that steals victims’ money.
Alessandro Cinquini, 29, who is known on dating sites as “Alex the Officer,” first contacted News 6 in March 2022 when he discovered his photographs were being used to fool women from Florida to India.
Vanya Dimova contacted News 6 after seeing our reports about Cinquini on the web.
She said an Alex imposter sent her photos and videos of lavish gifts that included a shimmering engagement ring.
Alessandro Cinquini has gone public to warn women across the globe that imposters have stolen his photographs from social media platforms to create “catfish” style profiles that offer love but target money.
News 6 sent 15 questions to her in advance so Dimova could translate and prepare responses during a Zoom interview.
She said she met the Alex imposter on Instagram back on March 26. According to Dimova, the conversation went from casual to romantic very quickly.
“After two days, he told me he was in love with me,” Danya told News 6. “Every day, he tell me he want to buy a house in Bulgaria and live together.”
Cinquini told News 6 the imposters have never stopped using his photos and he assured us he never contacted Dimova.
They have my old pictures from my old life,” Cinquini said. “Most of those pictures aren’t on my Instagram anymore. I canceled them years ago.”
He told News 6 he currently works as a fleet operation center watch officer for Carnival Cruise Line.
Danya sent News 6 a voice message from a man claiming to be Alex.
“I love you, I love you,” the man said.
The voice sounded nothing like Cinquini
Danya said that voice recording was the only evidence she has. She never met the imposter face-to-face or spoke to him on FaceTime or Zoom.
Danya said she became suspicious when the imposter asked her to pay the shipping charges for her gifts. He sent her a Bank of America receipt to prove his account had been frozen.
According to the Federal Trade Commission, romance scams in the U.S alone netted an estimated $1.3 billion last year, impacting 70,000 men and women.
News2 years ago
Kareem Chenheu: Hot New Talent Dominating The Market
News2 years ago
Apocalyptin Author Anna Parkman – Mrs. Florida In This Year’s Mrs. USA Pageant
Sports12 months ago
McDaniel Discusses Coaching Staff Moves
Florida1 year ago
True: Nothing Says Miami (government) Like Billboards
Entertainment2 years ago
Super slick singer van hechter tells all about unpcoming new single ”Love in Miami”!
Business2 years ago
WorldStaff USA: The Top 5 Benefits of Hiring an Employment Agency
Entertainment2 years ago
JLGSTEPA arrives with his new song “Cerveza” Ft Reventando Cráneos
News2 years ago
Rueda Empire: The successful Music Producer